Friday, April 1, 2011

Ethics . . .

I believe that we are all faced with personal ethical dilemmas throughout life. Some may be bigger than others but the key is to recognize that a dilemma is a dilemma and no matter the importance or the potential outcome it tests your character and values.

I believe that as students about to graduate and deciding on jobs, there are many ethical issues we may face. For example, when I was interviewing for jobs and trying to decide which to take I was faced with a deadline that was about to expire. I honestly didn't know what to do. I had talked to multiple mentors asking for their advice as to what I should do. It wasn't my dream job but it was a job and in this economy that is huge. One professor in particular recommended that I accept the job and then continue interviewing and see if I liked something better. To me this seemed unethical, however, the way he phrased it almost seemed understandable.

He told me to accept and continue interviewing. If I were to find something I liked better call the company I had previously accepted an offer from and tell them the following:

"I know that I have accepted an offer from you and I am willing to stick by it but I have been offered a different job that interests me even more. I know that I have committed to work for you and I will stand by that if you choose but if you are willing to release me from our agreement I would work for company B."

I feel that this is an ethical dilemma because you have already accepted an offer yet interviewing with other firms. But you aren't accepting an offer from the others you are asking for Company A's opinion and permission. Is it unethical to continue interviewing after you have accepted a job? Some say yes and others say no. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment